The Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro 2018 features an eighth-gen- processor, more memory and a larger SSD capacity than the previous model. But the twist is that you get all this for the same price as the earlier version which is quite commendable. Other than the internal configuration, the superstructure remains unchanged, and you may not be able to tell the 2017 and the 2018 models apart.
Following the release of Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro 2018 model, reports were doing the rounds to the effect that there were throttled CPU performances. CPU clock speeds were slowed down due to the spiking of internal temperatures during heavy computing or multitasking. Apple computers confirmed this and issued a statement to the effect the issue was due to a previously undisclosed software problem. They released a patch in the form of a MacOs high Sierra 10.13.6 supplement update that would address it.
Apple 13-inch Macbook pro 2018 at a Glance
- Faster Processing speed with an eight-gen processor
- Large storage capacity and the fastest SSD ever
- No price increase with additional speed, storage, and RAM
- Free leather bag with purchase of the laptop, with Apple’s annual back to school program (college students only)
- Quieter and more durable keyboard
- Built-in Hey Siri support
- Awesome speakers
- Economical on ports
- Battery life could be better
- Graphics performance is a bit wanting compared to the competition
- No full-size USB or SD card slot
- They don’t come cheaply
- It’s quite heavy compared to other laptops on the market.
But with all this, is the Apple 13-inch MacBook pro 2018 the best on the market? The jury is out.
The Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro 2018 is a premium professional machine in the 13-inch form factor. One of the most elaborate differences between the 13 inch and the 15 inch MacBook Pro is the graphics power. This machine is packed with power and commendable aesthetics. The four Thunderbolt 3 USB–C is a welcome move, and though the device is not sleek, it is not dull either with the quad-core chips upgrade making for some packed power. The processor Core i7-8559U is a high-speed chip, and with one of the fastest Static Solid Disk, this machine is one of the best machines in the 2 in one’s category. Other features on this laptop include:- True tone, “Hey Siri”. This laptop will surely blow your mind off.
The 13-inch Apple MacBook Pro 2018 comes with the following Specs.
- A new eight –gen- quad-core Intel processor (i7 Intel Core i7-8559U)
- Double the RAM from 8 GB to 16 GB (2,133 MHz LPDDR 3)
- SSD storage capacity of 1 Terabyte to 2 Terabytes
- New Display 13.3-inch, (2,560 x 1,600) IPS featuring True Tone tech which optimizes colors to ambient light conditions
- New T2 subprocessor for Touch ID security and encryption
- Hands-free ‘Siri’ Hi Siri activation code
- Intel Iris plus Graphics 655
- 16GB 2,133MHz LPDDR3 RAM
- 2TB very fast SSD Solid State Drive
- 802.11ac Networking, Bluetooth 5.
- 4 Thunderbolt 3ports
- Stereo speakers, Headphone/microphone combo jack
- 720p FaceTime webcam camera
- Battery 58 W
- Power Adapter 61W
It’s important to note that the 13-inch is virtually similar to the 2017 version it’s putting to bed. The superstructure is the same; the colors are similar as well as the same Touch Bar. With the release of the MacBook 2018 with Touch bar, Apple also released some new accessories which include a leather laptop bag which is priced at $179 and a Black magic external GPU which features an integrated AMD Radeon Pro 580 card going for $699. The annual back to school program under Apple, avails for free Beats headphones for college students on purchase of the 2018 MacBook Pro 13 laptop.
The Apple 13-inch MacBook pro 2018 maintains the original price as its predecessor. Its entry price without the Touch Bar is $ 1,299/=. With the Touch bar, and the following Specs:
- Processing speeds of 2.3
- GHz 4 Core intel i5
- Display 13.3 inch 2560×1600 pixels with a pixel density of 227 ppi,
- 11.97 inches of imperial dimensions
- 304×212 mm of dimension Metrix, 0.59 inch (14.9 mm)
- 3.02 pounds (1.37kgs)
- Mac O’s High Sierra and the Intel Iris plus 655 Graphics
The Ups options available Specs are
- 2.7 GHz 4 core Intel i7
- storage capacity of SSD 256 GB, 512 GB, 1 TB, and 2 TB’s
- 8GB and 16 GB of RAM
- Apple Battery with an estimated 10 hour longevity
- 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac Bluetooth
- 4.2 4XUSB–C Thunderbolt 3
- 1×3.5mm headset/mic combo ports
- 720p face Time HD
- Touch ID Sub processor
- Force Touch Trackpad
- Space gray or silver color
It’s priced at $1,799 in the US, £1,749 in the UK and AU$ 2,699.
2017 MacBook pro
The pricing for 2017 MacBook Pro is $1,799 in the US, 1,479 in the UK, and AU$ 2,699 and comes with the following specifications:
- 13 with 3.1 GHz 2 Core intel i5 or 3.5GHz 2Core intel i7 processing speed
- 256GB, 512GB, 1TB SSD storage space capacity
- 8GB and 16GB RAM.
2018 MacBook Pro 15 with Touch Bar
The 2018 MacBook Pro 15 with touch bar goes for $ 2,399/= in the US, 2,349/= in the UK and AU$ 3,499/= in Australia.
The Specs for this machine are 15.4 inch are as follows:
- 2,880×1,880 pixels,
- 220 ppi pixel density,
- 13.75×9.48 inches of dimensional metrics,
- 0.61 in (15.5mm) of thickness,
- 4.02 pounds (1.83kgs) weight,
- MacOs High Sierra Operating System and
- 2.2 GHz 6 Intel Core i7 processing speed, AMD Radeon Pro 650 x (4GB), 2.9GHz 6-Core Intel i9 Radeon Pro 560x4GB,
- 512GB, 1TB, 2TB and 4T SSD of storage capacity and
- 16GB or 32GB of RAM.
- All the other features remain the same.
MacBook Pro with Touch Bar
The 2017 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar goes for $2,399 in the US 2,349 in the UK and AU$ 3,499 in Australia with the following Specs:
- 2.8GHz 4 Core – Intel Core i7, AMD Radeon Pro 555 (2GB) or 3.1GHz 4 Core Intel i7,
- Radeon 560 (4GB), 256GB, 512GB or 2TB SSD storage capacity and
- 1GB RAM.
The System Architecture
Apple MacBook laptops brands are some of the most sophisticated machines on the portable market. The Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro 2018 is a machine which has a design similar to its predecessor the MacBook pro 13. Its design is strong with the aluminum on its system architecture giving it a solid feel. The logging in is effortless with the touch ID button. The speakers still sounds strong and full, with No distortion issues even at full blast. But while the other players in the field have been falling over themselves in slimming and generally cutting on the weight of their machines, the Apple 13-inch Macbook pro 2018 still weighs heavy compared to other competitors in the industry.
At 3.02 pounds and 12×8.4×0.6 inches, the Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro 2018 claim to portability comes to doubt. The bezels around the display are thicker, especially towards the top. This compared to other machines like Dell XPS 13 which comes in at 12×7.9×0.46 inches is basically lighter at 2.65 pounds and Huawei mate Book x pro which has a 14-inch display but still weighs in at 2.9 pounds, which is still way lighter than the 13 inch MacBook.
Another issue about the Apple is that they would have done better with bringing in a bit of color options to choose from other than to remain in the comfort zone between silver and space gray. Other brands have different flashy colors varieties to select from, and that gives them an edge in the market.
The Processor on this machine is an eighth-gen Intel Core i7-8559U with a 2.7GHz base clock and Turbo of up to 4.5 GHz
One of the features of the 13-inch display (2560×1660) pixels on the 2018 MacBook Pro is the True Tone to the Retina display. This feature is less tasking to the eye, especially in the darkened room. That’s because the system optimizes colors to ambient light conditions of the room. Another critical aspect to note is that this feature can be toggled off or on in system preferences depending on the needs of the user.
To test the strength of the 13 inch MacBook Pro’s True Tone in different lighting conditions, we turned up the brightness up on the screen of a new 13in MacBook Pro, to see how much of a difference it would make from one condition to another. The colors seemed brighter, clearer and well defined, especially in dark areas.
Keyboard and Trackpad 1
Following misgivings by the users on the earlier model of MacBook’s bordering on the keyboard, significant changes have been made to correct any anomalies that may have dogged the previous models- ranging from stuck keys and noisy keys. The keyboard on the MacBook is fitted with a silicone barrier which cocoons the butterfly switches below the keys. The silicon barrier ensures that dust cannot enter the keys. Also this results in quieter keys as one types upon them. Beneath the said new keyboard is a silicone barrier that covers the butterfly switches underneath the keys. Apart from resulting in quieter keystrokes, the presence of this silicon barrier should mean that dust can’t get under the keys.
The Touch bar is the only feature that can differentiate between the 2018 MacBook Pro from the 2017 models. The bar lets you see and select auto-suggestion and typos by merely tapping on the correct one. There is one minor flaw though. When typing on the keyboard, there are this annoying cursor jumps that generally occur due to accidental activation of the TrackPad by the arm.
The MacBook Pro 13-inch has a good battery life; other laptops are known to last longer than it though. With a battery life of up to 10hours of heavy usage, it would be easy to say that it’s a stable battery.
The MacBook Pro 13 inch has several ports on its chassis. There are four Thunderbolt 3 USB-C ports (up to 40GBPS). They can support charging; there is also Display port, 3.5mm headphone port and a USB – A 3.1 Gen 2 (10Gbps). A pair of stereo speakers with high dynamic range. Similar to the 2017 model, the 2018 MacBook Pro has stereo speakers with high dynamic range and three microphones.
Macbooks Pro’s usually run on macOS High Sierra (10.13). Other bundled software that comes with this machine is iwork suit, iMovie for basic video editing, garage band for music editing and Apple stalwart messages for massaging.
Apple usually issues the MacBook Pro with a 1-year warranty including a 90 days of free technical support. However, you can increase the Warranty and technical support to three years with AppleCare+ ($269). This is in contrast to other companies that offer only one year warranty, but terms and conditions apply in each case.